Sunday, December 25, 2011

"This Borders on Fabulous."

So, the cupcakes came out.  I baked them for around 25 minutes per batch.  They have a crispy top, like a brownie does.  And a super moist cake.

I couldn't figure out what kind of frosting would properly adorn the cake without overpowering the egg nog flavor.  So, I decided to make an egg nog topping. 

By the way, the recipe is 1 box cake mix and two cups egg nog.  I used Devil's Food.




For the topping, I took a cup of eggnog, a splash of milk, a dollop of whip cream and about a cup of powder sugar.  Enough powder sugar to make a proper frosting would have been far too sweet, as it was, this was still a smidge sweeter than I'd have really liked. 

I put the ingredients into the Magic Bullet and whipped the shit out of them for about 4 minutes.

I ended up with a liquid the consistency of the froth on the top of steamed milk. 

I took a bit of the top off with a grapefruit spoon and I poured the glaze in. 

I served it to the family.




The brother, an egg nog afficianado, said it was "good."  Then he went with "Not Bad."  But too sweet for him.

The sister, a chocolate addict, said it was "okay."

But my mom, who loves desserts, said it "bordered on fabulous" and i had to share the recipe.

And, the greatest compliment of all, my grandmother, who generally sneaks the majority of her food to the cats, ate the entire thing without letting them near it.

So, please enjoy if you'd like.


Cake:
1 Box Devil's Food Cake Mix
2 cups eggnog
Mix, scoop into liners, bake for about 25 minutes. There is minimal rising.


Glaze:
1 cup eggnog
1 cup powder sugar
splash of milk
dollop of whipped cream
Put in high speed blender and blend for about 4 minutes till the consistency of froth on steamed milk.

Put cupcake in a bowl, spoon glaze on top to taste.  Enjoy while cupcake is still mildly warm and glaze is cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment