Sunday, July 10, 2011

Corporal Punishment.

It's Sunday. Not Saturday, but I made cupcakes today instead of yesterday because of Vacation Bible School. I'm trying to stage it. So I spent yesterday painting backdrops for the water park theme.

So Today! CUPCAKES!

Here's a Before Picture:


Penzey's figures heavily in almost everything I do
I gathered all the tools of my trade.  This time around, I planned on making full sized cupcakes.  I didn't want to spend forever monitoring the mini-cupcakes.  Or frosting them, to be quite honest.  So I was taking the easy way out.

I used Almond instead of vanilla this time out, because I'm anti-vanilla.  And extremely anti-imitation vanilla, and that's all we had.

The almond extract is wicked sweet.  Use less than the vanilla amount recommended.


I have a confession to make.  I sometimes use unnecessary force when combining my ingredients.  Maybe I just don't know my own strength.  No matter what it is, I tend to over-beat the eggs.  I try to not do this, and then all of the sudden, the batter is about 4 times too fluffy.

It's not my fault.  the damn eggs never listen to me.  They whine.  They yell inside.  They fight with each other.  If I have to hear one more tiny eggy demand, I'm just gonna... And then they're all meringue.

This can be a problem during cooking:


I had to watch the oven carefully, to make sure I didn't have another repeat of the family-famous red velvet incident.

When they came out, they were stuck together.  I used my cake spatula to seperate them while they were still warm.

They may not have looked pretty but the choco-holic of the family came in a few times while they were cooling to eat one.  I finally slapped some chocolate frosting on top and handed him one so he'd stay out of my kitchen while I was working.
"Eat this and get the hell out of my kitchen, Grandpa."

I had the parchment bag all set up with the tip and the frosting in the plastic wrap bundles, but in the end, I gave up decorating them and just slapped the frosting on.  I did, by the way, make a second smaller batch, but they ended up a little mangled looking, too.  The papers were slightly folded in.  I did swirl them with a star tip, but they're going up to work, and preschool teachers on a Monday aren't the least bit picky about what the chocolate looks like.



They look stupid.

The truth is, I've reached that "7th inning stretch" part of my job.  It's the whole month of July.  It's around July when all year-round, all-day preschool teachers start to question their sanity and chosen profession.  I'm not going to lie, as I get closer to 35, I feel less and less like spending my day on the hard floor, playing with kids who don't appreciate me.  I'm sure as the new school year rolls around, the excitement of new possibilities will kick in and I'll feel refreshed.  Renewed.  Revitalized.  My cupcakes will probably be much better then. 

Until then, I'll keep baking, because there is peace in the process.  And sometimes that will be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment