Monday, July 4, 2011

Meatloaf Cupcakes

Look at me, being all prolific blogger this weekend.  Yay, me!

Today, I undertook an interesting idea from a PBS show I saw a while back (about a year ago.)

Today, I made meatloaf cupcakes.  The idea is to make individual serving meatloafs cupcake sized and top with mash potatoes.  Some people then toast the top of the cakes for a fancy dark swirl.  Me?  I sprinkle with carrots.

Enjoy my photo journey.  But first, I totally was decked in my awesome Johnny Cupcakes shirt.
This is not me.
I made the meatloaf from 1/2 lb. ground sirloin and 1/2 lb ground turkey.  I combined this with spices.  Indiscriminately.  I would open the spice, sniff it and dump some in if I liked the smell.  I put in a lot of Shallot Pepper. And Hangary Half Sharp Paprika.  Which I buy from Penzey's, the best spice shop ever.

I don't like to touch raw meat, so i used latex gloves.
mound them then smash them into the greased pan, pressing them to conform.


CONFORM!

 Pop them into the oven at 350.  You now have 40 minutes to finish the day.  My grandmother had been talking about carrot cake, so I decided to make her one.


I only had 35 minutes, so there was no scratch.


There was adding shredded carrots.

This mix smelled heavily of cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon.  Or, as I like to call it, Awesomeness.


These are Frito Flavor Twists.  I needed a little snack.  Honey Barbeque flavor.  It's like crack, so only put a handful on your plate then hide the rest.

After preparing cake per box, placed to the side to let all the air bubbles rise.





Mash Potato time.  In retrospect, these are super salty, not so great.





Meatloaf is done, pull it out, put the cake in for 45 minutes.
Put Potatoes in pastry bag with a large star tip.

I had to hold it with paper towels because it was very warm.







"Sprinkle" with carrot shreds.

Serve. 





























Once the cake was ready, i pulled it out.  And promptly burned my finger.  2nd degree is the yucky blister, right?

When it cooled, I was ready to pop it out and frost it.
Only it didn't pop out right.













I did state i would document failures
It was frosting time.
I wanted it to be pretty, but to hide the crumbly bits, i went with "homestyle."


Nom, nom, nom

No comments:

Post a Comment