Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Russian Roulette Love for Lemons

First of all, a confession.  I didn't bake on Saturday.  There are lots of reasons.  The major one is personal.  I have a Neuralgia issue I occasionally deal with.  And this week it's been awful.  I'm not saying this for sympathy, because I pretty much wanna cut anyone who pities me
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Am I gonna have to cut a bitch?
out of a fierce sense of independence and a "don't ever pity me for I am always awesome" mentality I picked up from attending an all-girls college.  I'm just accepting and admitting there will be valid reasons for not baking.  And I'm gonna be upfront about them, whether they be health related or, you know, because Harry Potter Saturday is not to be truncated for anything as silly as cupcaking.

(The truth is, with my level of pain, somewhere on a 6, and my tolerance level for pain which resindes around a 1, I wanna cut someone or something anyway, so pity away.)

I did, however, bake today.  a box mix of lemon poppy seed muffins.  For quick breakfasting on work days.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

It was a good mix. 

please say that out loud in the same manner as "it was a good death" from Legends of the Fall.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
All the dudes reading got this reference.


but it has this weird glaze stuff.  And it's no good.  or, if you're familiar with the female version of The Odd Couple, it's nougat.  So, if I ever make it again, I'll add the glaze to the mix instead of putting it on top of the cooked product.  I might even doctor the mix with some lemon zest, or straight up lemon pulp.  For an extra zing.

I loooooooooooooooooooooooove Lemons.

Here is the thing about lemons.

 About 3 or 4 years ago... time is relative, really, I ended up in the emergency room at Memorial Northwest Hospital with an acute idiopathic allergic reaction.  I have to admit, I didn't mind this reaction for two reasons.  I got off work early, and, for three or so glorious hours, I had luscious Angelina Jolie lips, instead of my teeny-tiny ones.  But having a reaction to something was weird.  Over time, I talked to my Nurse Practitioner about it, and we've narrowed down the acute attack along with some other allergy related symptoms to one culprit.  Citrus.  oh Citrus.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Credit: http://vilakins.dreamwidth.org/



So, armed with this knowledge what do I do?  I adore lemonade.  I use cilantro lime dressing.  I even occasionally eat a piece of Orange (though that seems to be the citrus with the most painful impact.)  I take allergy pills in a preventative method and down the delightfully delicious fruits I adore.  Knowing that this ended me up in the ER, I continue to enjoy it...

The thing is citric acid is in practically everything.  Everything good, anyway.  So I figure, life is already killing me, I might as well live on the edge.

In fact, next weekend, I might just be zesting limes.  Though, I imagine I'll wear gloves.


I "illustrated" this blog, since I didn't bake this week.  Try not to hate it.

Also, this wasn't entirely off-topic.  I mentioned cupcakes.  Just now.

No comments:

Post a Comment