Saturday, June 18, 2011

I am just like everyone else

Today I discovered I am just like everyone else.

I decided to follow other cupcake bloggers this evening.  For inspiration and motivation.  I discovered at least 15 cupcake blogs dedicated to a weekly cupcake baking.  And all of them are fancy with really pretty pictures.  And I can't compete with that.  So I won't even try.  Because as much as this is about the cupcakes, this is about documenting something I'm doing for myself.  I want to look back and see if I can trace a tangible personal growth.  Or maybe at least see if my photography and piping has improved.

Another reason I am tracking down cupcake blogs is to find a vanilla-wintergreen cupcake recipe.  I cannot find one.  I found some pink wintergreen glaze frosting, but I don't want glaze.  I want a cupcake that tastes like a wint-o-green lifesaver.   For my next epic cupcake project.

After Mojito cupcake Saturday, I plan to make a Fire and Ice Cupcake Saturday.  The flavors will be chocolate cinnamon and vanilla wintergreen.

Today I didn't cupcake.  I had a wedding shower to attend.  It was my responsibility as bridesmaid to provide cheese cubes and deviled eggs.

Since the colors are black and purple, I had a "genius" plan to make the deviled egg filling purple.

Have I ever mentioned that I am not a domestic goddess?  I never paid attention to any kitchen related anything.  So, I used frosting dye to tint the yolk filling a muted lavender.  I put a black olive ring on the top of each piped egg (large star tip to make swirly flutes, by the way).

After the eggs were on the serving table for about 30 minutes, they turned into a weird brown.  If you bit into them, they were still lavender inside.  So, note to self, deviled eggs brown like guacamole.  Add a pinch of citric acid next time.

Also, I just feel like there are two things I said in public today that I should probably document.

Thing One: "No, Seriously.  I love Donnie Wahlberg so much I have a residual crush on his little brother."
Thing two: "Shallot Pepper is so good, I just pour it in my hand and lick it off."

No comments:

Post a Comment