Saturday, November 24, 2012

Peppermint Bark, Robyn style

I posted this recipe last year, but am reposting due to it's popularity on pinterest.  I had no idea my blog had gotten pinned over 90 times from this little bit.  So this time, I've put it back up with my new watermark and very clear step-by-step directions.


PEPPERMINT BARK - ROBYN STYLE

So, I love peppermint flavors.  Peppermint mocha?  Yes, please.  Peppermint lifesaver?  Always.  Peppermint Bark?  So divine.

I learned this recipe from the internet a while back.  It basically is a quick candy, which makes it super easy for a gift.  But I'm not a big fan of using candy canes or peppermint starlight mints like most people suggest.  So I use my happy little cheaty method.

This happens to be a favorite of my out-of-town uncle and so I make it every time he comes into town to visit my Grandparents.  So, every few months or so.

I start with one package of Almond Bark Coating.  You can find this in most grocery stores around Christmas time.  When it's not Christmas, it's a little more difficult to find it.  However, if you're willing to say, drive to 8 different stores in the off season, you will eventually find it.  Or, you could use Candy Melts, though they usually cost twice as much per ounce.  Me, I'm a driver.

You also need decorative sugars and peppermint candy oil.

You'll need a microwave safe bowl, a pot holder, a spatula, a spoon, a cookie sheet and parchment paper.

So, rundown:

  • One 24 oz. package Almond Bark (or equivalent amount of candy melts)
  • Peppermint candy oil (NOT EXTRACT)
  • Colorful Sugars (I use seasonal ones... pastels in spring, fall colors in Autumn, etc)
  • Microwaves safe bowl
  • Pot Holder
  • Spatula
  • Spoon
  • Cookie Sheet
  • Parchment Paper 
Spread the parchment paper on the cookie sheet and sprinkle some of the decorative sugars on top.  Set aside.
 
Break the Bark into 3 chunks of four squares.  I break it once along the length and then in the middle.

Melt one 4 square in the microwave safe bowl for a minute on half power.  This is VITAL.  If you do it on full power, you scorch it.

Remove and stir.  Add two drops of peppermint oil.  If fully melted, pour in place.  Use the spatulas to ensure you get it all out of the bowl.




 Repeat until all your chunks are melted and poured in.  Two or three drops of the candy oil per 4square.  Once it's poured onto the cookie sheet, you can shake it a little to even it out or spread it with the spatula.


Sprinkle with the sugars.  The oil provides a perfect amount of peppermint without the pain and drama of crushing candy canes or, God Forbid, starlight mints.  Starlight mints need diamond tips to shatter, swear.

I used to do the whole package at once, but the edges sometimes scorched.  DO NOT SET IN FRIDGE OR FREEZER.  I've learned an ugly lesson from this.  You have to let it set at room temperature.  If you set it in the freezer, it will be difficult to break and it will sweat later.

Once it's set, you can break it up into chunks and then place it in your container, in this case, a little cardboard treat box:

No comments:

Post a Comment